Tuesday, November 13, 2012

A Princess Without A Prince

Earlier today in my HUMALIT (literature) class, we were discussing the story Snow, Glass, Apples by Neil Gaiman, a different take on the fairy tale Snow White. That class changed my whole perspective on princesses and fairytales. It's amazing how a 50 minute discussion on a short story can changed my it completely. My professor's probably one of the best teachers I've encountered in my whole college life, even if she's a bit narcissistic about her history of reading, I can reaalllly say I love every tiny bit of how is she as a teacher. One thing she stands for that she makes sure to get across s women empowerment. She does not talk about it for a whole period and sounds preachy but she just gives about one to four sentences on the matter that makes your mind goooooo "THAT'S SO TRUE!!!!" haha So yeah, here's what I wanted to share with you:
She asked us why being associated to Disney princess should be taken as an insult as compared to being a compliment and surprsingly, I raised my hand and answered, "Because a prince just saves her and then they get married the very next day" It's true though, quite annoying right? Disney princesses are so naive, so easy and they spend all their lives waiting for a prince to rescue them. It's something I found annoying but I didn't know that I could actually get a life lesson from that certain thing till she said this
"A princess does not need a prince to be princess. Why should there always be a man and love to be princess? Any girl should and can be a princess just by being herself." 
IMG_9924 copy
IMG_9927 copy
IMG_9933 copyIMG_9951.JPG copyIMG_9947 copyIMG_9942 copy
[Dress: PLEASE EMAIL ME WHOEVER SENT THIS? :( So that I can credit properly? :(, Shoes: Bloggers United Bazaar, Bangles: SM ACCESSORIES, Bag: Aranaz, Top neckalce: PASSION FOR FASHION, Two bottom necklaces: SM ACCESSORIES
Sounds quite cheesy but if you think about it, it's true right? I hope you do realize that you don't need a boy to be a happy and yes, you don't need a boy to be princess :) 
xx, Vern

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment to show me some love.
Link your blog and I will try to visit each and every one of them :-)
Thank you so so much :- )
<3, Vern